Pages

Friday, February 17, 2017

Tim-buuuuuur!


  Having cut out the shape of the sides, we then attached timber such as chine logs and deck supports. I had some indecision as to what wood to use for chine logs, considering factors such as gluability, fastener holding, surface area, and what I happen to have on hand.  I ended up going with 2" hemlock, but by no means am I sure that was the best choice.


I had read that a circular saw could cut a large radius curve more nicely than a jig saw and it sure did with the sawn curves for chine logs on the bow and stern curves.

 Both sides are ready for assembly now. Here is starboard side, all screwed and glued up with PL Premium.





I gave Camila the all-important job of chiseling off squeezed out glue and then pretending that the long bits of glue are worms.



Here she is, channeling Rosie the Riveter


Meantimes, I hired Lucia as a personal organizer for my work bench.




Both sides knocked out! 



2 comments:

  1. Looks good! Hemlock is quite strong but not as rot resistant as fir. If it is well protected you'll have no problem. Great that the kids are involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yeah, they are fun to have around and really never under foot like they are wont to be in the kitchen.

      Delete